The Innovative KiteMill Joins NEEC
NEEC is proud to officially to announce the membership of KiteMill AS, a trustworthy innovator in the capture and utilization of airborne wind energy.
KITEMILL develops a breakthrough wind energy technology based on stronger and more consistent winds at higher altitudes (500 – 1500 meters). And this bold and refreshing institution offers their capable solutions bearing the following characterizations, they:
- may reduce the levelized cost of energy with 50%
- use 90% less material compared to traditional wind
- increased energy yield (full load hours)
- Geographical market for wind energy will expand as many poor wind sites become good wind sites
Although a young player in the wind energy sector founded in 2008, Kitemill’s entrepreneurial dedication and R & D competency has already enabled them to set up an autonomous operating kite turbine prototype (5 kW).
With a tight-knit team of 8 employees, KiteMill is in a position to prepare for the establishment of pilot projects featuring their technology and the potential industrialization of their first wind-generator product at small scale (20kW) for continuous operation.
KiteMill’s plan for industrialization is gradual and practical, with 150 kW-capacity units being put to produection and extensive commercial use by 2021 and 500 kW by 2023. And this corporate blueprint is developed based upon the fact that scaling studies have show few obstacles for multi MW units, to be operated in large wind farms well suited to change global energy mix.
New energy technologies are always enabled through strong political incentives. Kitemill believes China, with it’s forceful and determined climate friendly politics, is a good candidate to enable the commercial market for Airborne Wind Energy.
Upon tapping into the Chinese market, Kitemill currently seeks partners to open the Chinese market and contribute on the following:
- establish demonstration plants (area, local gov. approval, airspace regulations and more…)
- work with governmental institutions on technical certification
- meteorological resources (Wind energy map above 500 meters agl)
- R&D institutions
- Finance, incentives
- direct investment in Kitemill technology
- production of hardware
- developers of wind energy power plants (future customers)
Interested parties are kindly advised to their webpage under our Organization browser for their contact info and more detailed information. We here at NEEC are grateful for the trust and devotion that KiteMill has invested in us and we absolutely look forward to working in closer partnership with this young and vibrant corporation.